I’m heading out to IBC and there are a number of things I hope to see there. Of course, I’ve got customers asking me about SSDs, and engineers working on 40Gb Ethernet and people want to bring it all together. Really, what’s the hold up here?
My short wish list:
- 3.5” Server Chassis (8, 16, 24) with 12Gb SAS expanders onboard
- 2.5” Server Chassis (12 and 24) with 12Gb SAS expanders onboard
- Balanced 40Gb switches that can legitimately aggregate 16 or 24 10Gb ports into 4 or 6 40Gb ports
- 4TB or larger SSDs that can handle enterprise workloads but cost less than $1000 per Terabyte
- Thunderbolt 3 previews
- 40Gb Ethernet Adapters
- 8 or 10Terabyte 7200RPM SAS drives
- New Wi-Fi technology that can run full duplex and offer backpressure and bandwidth reservation (can you imagine editing wirelessly?)
Obviously, I have a few of these technologies in hand already, but there are some major roadblocks to building a balanced server with them. SSDs are very expensive and still too small. We’ll need those 400MB/sec devices to justify putting 40Gb ports in a server.
Shifting gears, in September, we are going to be running a special at Small Tree. If you purchase a TitaniumZ (8 or 16), we’re giving away two SANLink2 10Gb Ethernet Adapters. Using the two onboard 10Gb ports on the Titanium, you can immediately connect two clients and be editing over 10Gb.
Contact Small Tree today to purchase your TitaniumZ system with two Promise SANLink2 10Gb Ethernet Adapters included – firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-782-4622. Purchase must be completed by 9/30/14.